The Epicurean Express: Xiao Long Bao
In this week's Epicurean Express video, we feature chef Chan Chi Ming from Yè Shanghai demonstrating the most popular of Shanghainese dishes, the pork and soup dumpling, or xiao long bao in Mandarin.
In the video, the chef uses the traditional Chinese measurements of tael and mace, but for those preparing the dish at home, the recipe below gives its measurements using the metric system.
Ingredients (for 20pcs):
250g well-ground pork
250g frozen ground pig's skin
1TB fresh grated ginger
1 stalk spring onion
1TB light soy sauce
1TB dark soy sauce
1TB sesame oil
250g all-purpose flour
Points to note:
Preparation of pig's skin
1. Wash it thoroughly and give it a quick boil and then scrape away the fat.
2. Use a blender to make it into small pieces and then boil it for 2 hours.
3. Sieve out the small pieces and keep the liquid rich in gelatin.
4. Chill it in refrigerator until set.
5. Crush it into small pieces with a blender before use.
When preparing the xiao long bao at home, using gelatin sheets is an easier alternative to pig's skin.